Yesterday someone asked on overwatch forums if Blizzard about 2 CP win rates in quick play.
Hey Blizzard if you see this, can you provide some stats on the win rates for offense and defense on the 2 CP maps in quick play?
Overwatch Game Director, Jeff Kaplan, replied providing stats for players in Quick Play. He listed win rates for Attack and Defense on all of Overwatch’s Assault and Escort maps.
Time period: 5/14/17 – 7/12/17 (I’m not sure why I don’t have earlier data… I’ll have to ask about that)
- Hanamura: Attack 49.79%, Defense 50.21%
- Horizon: Attack 54.50%, Defense 45.50%
- Temple of Anubis: Attack 49.92%, Defense 50.08%
- Volskaya: Attack 49.76%, Defense 50.24%
- Eichenwalde: Attack 46.13%, Defense 53.87%
- Hollywood: Attack 49.91%, Defense 50.09%
- King’s Row: Attack 50.14%, Defense 49.86%
- Numbani: Attack 49.40%, Defense 50.60%
- Dorado: Attack 49.66%, Defense 50.34%
- Route 66: Attack: 49.94%, Defense 50.06%
- Watchpoint: Gibraltar: Attack 50.13%, Defense 49.87%
When checking this data, even if only represents the last two months. We’ve noticed that win rates are pretty similar in all the maps within 1.2% for both attacking and defending. In some cases, like Horizon Lunar Colony and Eichenwalde, the difference is a bit higher. But this data proves wrong most of the complaints among players is that certain maps have a significant advantage on attack rather than defense.
We’ve talked about a few changes. We want to give it more time before doing anything drastic.
I know this is going to sound off to some of you, but these stats don’t concern us as being grossly unbalanced. We’ve had periods in the early release and beta of the game where maps were skewed as bad as 30/70. When a map gets close to 40/60, most players perceive it as balanced. So being within 4-6% of 50/50 is still pretty good. Of course, we’ll always strive for 50/50 but I think Horizon and Eichenwalde are both really fun maps.
It is pretty impressive to see a game that is so balanced across most of its maps, especially in quick play. These numbers do not apply on a competitive level but show that both sides average out to about even, given enough games.